Monday, August 18, 2008

In Theory

So, how would feel if your signifigant other of five years didn't know important details about you? How important is it that they remember your birthday? Your anniversary? Your age?

Say you're at dinner with your signifigant other. Then let's say the topic of your age comes up, and your signifigant other (let's call him Mike) doesn't know how old you are. Granted, he thinks you're a year younger, which I suppose is better than older, but still. How would this make you feel? If, hypothetically, this happened to me, I'd be irritated. Angry, even. Especially if "Mike" doesn't really seem to feel bad that he didn't know.

Also, what if "Mike" doesn't know when your birthday is? Let's say he thinks it's two days before the actual date. Is it fair, then, to assume that if you get presents two days before your birthday because "Mike" doesn't know when your actual birthday is, you deserve a second set of presents on the actual day? Especially since you've hypothetically been together for more than five years.

Theoreticals are fun.

4 comments:

Avitable said...

I think the first rule of a relationship is nailing down those pesky little facts like your age and your birthday.

Robin said...

Birthday is a good day to know. Both lucky and unlucky for me my husband's daughter has the same birthday.

Josh Anastasia said...

So you've known me for half my life and you know that I'm horrible with birthdays. I can get in the general time-frame. I always knew your birthday was in November, but it wasn't until my girlfriend, now ex, had the same birthday that I actually remembered.

However, I'm just your friend so I don't need to know it. I think that birthdays and anniversaries are required knowledge by both parties. Age doesn't really matter, but you should at least know those two dates. They are pretty important...

Who We Are said...

In this “Mike”’s defense maybe he did say he was sorry and maybe he does feel bad about it. In addition, it could be that he just doesn’t have a memory for dates. It isn’t that he doesn’t care or doesn’t try.